Tongue scraping is a fast way to remove extra particles — including the ones that cause bad breath — from the surface of your tongue. It’s done with this tool made from stainless metal.
Although no amount of scraping can replace a good toothbrushing, its purported benefits have enticed quite a few to add this extra step to their morning and evening routines.
Using a tongue scraper can help remove this buildup, as well as:
- Improve your sense of taste. Using a tongue scraper twice daily can improve your sense of taste. Your tongue may be able to better distinguish between bitter, sweet, salty, and sour sensations.
- Improve the appearance of your tongue. Buildup of excess debris can cause your tongue to take on a white, coated appearance. Daily scraping removes this coating and prevent it from returning.
- Remove bacteria. Researchers found that using a tongue scraper twice a day for seven days reduced the overall incidence of Mutans streptococci and Lactobacilli bacteria in the mouth. These bacteria types are known to cause bad breath.
- Improve overall health. Removing bacteria is key to preventing cavities, gum disease, and other conditions affecting the mouth. Tongue scraping can these bacteria from the mouth, improving your tongue’s appearance and overall sensation.
- Reduce bad breath. Although tongue scraping can’t replace brushing your teeth, scraping may do some things better. Researchers found that scraping was more effective than brushing at removing odor-causing bacteria.